Are you ready to fly like a Boss?
What’s included in the conversion?
Everything required to put a silly grin on your face every time you push the throttle forward. That means our high-flow tuned exhaust that adds effective horsepower, a variety of propeller options to muscle you into the air, and a firewall beef-up to give you a gross weight increase are all part of the conversion. If you’re on floats or thinking of converting to floats, we offer a heavy-duty seaplane engine mount. The Boss 182 engine conversion is the only late-model engine upgrade approved on floats!
On wheels, you’ll enjoy a gross weight increase to 3,158 lbs. On floats, gross weight increases to 3,370 lbs or 3,500 lbs are available. Climb rates of up to 1,400 fpm (50% greater than stock!) and increased cruise speeds are other benefits you’ll take advantage of with a Boss 182 conversion.
The Boss 182 engine conversion is available for the Cessna 182S and 182T models in both landplane and floatplane configurations.
Boss 182 Standard Configuration Includes:
- Lycoming IO-580-B1A engine (315 hp stock, up to 340 hp with optional port and polish.)
- Hartzell Trailblazer propeller w/ spinner
- 82″ Composite Propeller
- Digital engine monitor
- MVP-50 or EDM 930
- Landplane engine mount (reuse)
- Overhauled prop governor
- 60 amp alternator (reuse)
- Tuned exhaust
- New vacuum manifold
- Reuse firewall forward
- All hoses and lines
- Engine control cables
- Installation on wheels includes a gross weight increase to 3,158 lbs take off / 3,000 lbs landing. Installation on Wipline 3000 floats includes a gross weight increase to 3,370 lbs take off / 3,350 lbs landing
Additional Options Include:
- MT composite propeller w/spinner – MTV-9-B/210-58
- Remarked analog gauges
- Rebuild seaplane engine mount
- New seaplane engine mount
- New prop governor
- 90 amp alternator
- New firewall forward
- All new hoses and lines
- New engine control cables
Increase to 340 HP:
The Boss 182 is already an impressive performer but for even more spirited performance owners may elect to have port, polish and flow balance services completed by Ly-Con.
Dyno testing confirms that this can increase total output to 340+ hp!
Gross Weight Increases:
Get the most utility out of your 182. Gross weight increases to 3,500 lbs, 3,370 lbs and 3,250 lbs are available for the Cessna 182. The 3,500 and 3,370 lb gross weight increases boast a greatly improved forward CG envelope that gives you more loading flexibility.
Learn more about our gross weight increases for the 182.
Performance Comparison on Wipline 3000 Floats
|IO-580 at 3,100 lb GW||IO-540 at 3,100 lb GW|
|Engine||Lycoming IO-580 (315 HP)||Lycoming IO-540 (230 HP)|
|Take off run (land)||808 ft (246 m)||981 ft (299 m)|
|Take off run over 50 ft obstacle (land)||1,423 ft (434 m)||1,444 ft (440 m)|
|Take off run (water)||1,189 ft (363 m)||1,392 ft (425 m)|
|Take off run over 50 ft obstacle (water)||1,833 ft (559 m)||2,098 ft (640 m)|
|Rate of climb (per/min)||1,290 ft (393 m)||833 ft (253 m)|
Performance Comparison on Wheels
|Fully Loaded Performance Data||Typical Load Performance|
|IO-580 at 3,158 lb GW||IO-540 at 3,100 lb GW||IO-580 at 2,839 lbs GW|
|Engine||Lycoming IO-580 (315 HP)||Lycoming IO-540 (230 HP)||Lycoming IO-580 (315 HP)|
|Take off run (land)||640 ft (195 m)||795 ft (243 m)||410 ft (125 m)|
|Take off run over 50 ft obstacle (land)||1,292 ft (394 m)||1,514 ft (462 m)||908 ft (277 m)|
|Rate of Climb (per/min)||1,426 ft (434 m)||924 ft (281 m)||1,600 ft (488 m)|
|Cruise Speed (80% Power at 6,000 ft)||171 MPH (149 KTAS)||161 MPH (140 KTAS)||175 MPH (152 KTAS) (75% Power at 3,000 ft)|
|“Fully Loaded” VS “Typical Load” Performance Data: For FAA certification of new modifications Wipaire performs extensive performance tests with the aircraft loaded to gross weight. This certification data represents the minimum performance expected out of an aircraft loaded to maximum gross weight. In order to better represent the level of performance most pilots will see we are providing performance specs taken with a “typical load” of pilot, co-pilot, 60 gallons of fuel and testing instrumentation. This gave us a weight of 2,839 lbs.|
Read More About the Impressive Boss 182
Read the Plane & Pilot Cover Story About the Boss 182
Read the AOPA Pilot Article About the Boss 182
Read the Water Flying Cover Story About the Boss 182
The Benefits of the Modern Cessna 182S & 182T
There are many reasons besides Boss 182 eligibility to consider an S or T model over the older generation Cessna 182 models. Some of the benefits include:
- Full internal corrosion proofing using the most up-to-date epoxy-based primers and stainless cables
- A modern avionics suite and instrument panel layout with warning panel
- Improved, modern autopilot (usually with altitude pre-select and hold)
- Interior seating (usually leather) with crash worthiness standards that meet the newer Part 23 crash standards
- An up-to-date airframe with all of the latest structural improvements, including wet wing and fuselage access panels
- Twice as many fresh air vents, for the utmost in pilot and passenger comfort
Feedback From the Field
“My favorite feature on wheels is its inherent stability and ground handling. On floats it’s amazing. It comes off the water really sharp. You don’t ever have to wonder ‘at what point will it fly,’ it just gets on step and goes.
I highly recommend the Boss 182, and I recommend it whether you’re going to put it on fat tires, float it, or leave wheel pants on it.”
– M. Holt, Boss 182 Owner & Operator
Customize Your Boss 182
ADd Wipline 3000 Floats
No other float available for the Cessna 182 can match the performance and engineering of the Wipline 3000 float. Whether your dream is to fly to remote glacier lakes or island beaches, Wipaire can equip your Skylane with the versatility you need. These outstanding performers are ruggedly durable and ready to give you the freedom to explore.
Minimizing AOG time with a coordinated service experience and one-stop nose to tail repair, refurbishment and modifications.
- Simplified Coordination of Services
- Comprehensive Facilites
- Maintenance, Paint, Interiors & Avionics in One Location
- Ferry Service Available
- Reputation for Quality and Convenience